Friday, October 12, 2012

10.12.2012 LUKE 18.10-14 - THE PHARISEE AND THE PUBLICAN

(Jesus...'told this parable to certain ones who trusted in themselves that they were righteous and viewed others with contempt,
two men went up into the temple to pray, one a pharisee, and the other a taxgatherer.
the pharisee stood and was praying thus to himself,
'God, i thank Thee that i am not like other people:
swindlers, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax gatherer (the publican)
i fast twice a week;
i pay tithes of all that i get.
but the tax gatherer, standing some distance away, was even unwilling to lift up his eyes to heaven, but was beating his breast, saying,
'God, be merciful to me, the sinner!
I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other;
for everyone who exalts himself shall be humbled,
but he who humbles himself shall be exalted. luke 18.10-14

i've known many church going religionists...and, apart from the grace of God, am one myself without too much effort. i do not tend to see myself as i really am before God. it is easy for me to see myself as better than others and to pass judgment on them, like the pharisee, rather than see myself as the sinner standing before God in judgment, like the taxgatherer. i now see myself in great need...a great ongoing sinner...my need of Jesus' sacrificing His life on the cross so that the horrible stains of my ongoing sin against god may be made white and clean in His sight.
if you have never experienced this incredible love, i heartily encourage you to read john's gospel in the new testament asking yourself as you read:
is Jesus,
as witnessed by his apostle john,
a liar,
a lunatic
or God come as a man to earth,
to die for my sin?
and...
if He is who the bible says He is...the sinless, perfect Son of God,
am i willing to believe and obey Him as my one and only God?

Oh Lord, have mercy upon me the sinner!
keep me believing in You so as to do what You say...
keep me admitting when i don't and
bringing me by Your grace again and again to do what You say!
give me a fear of You, oh God! 

No comments: