Sunday, August 5, 2012

8.5.2012 ARE YOU IN AGONY RIGHT NOW? IF NOT, WHY NOT?

II timothy 4.7
i have fought the good fight (greek-kalOn (good) agOn (fight) i have fought (AgOnismI)
i have finished the course
i have kept the faith.

in paul's last letter he says, in the first phrase above...literally, GOOD AGONY I HAVE (AND CONTINUE UP TO THIS MOMENT) AGONIZED. we wasn't done with this stream of excruciating pain. he was soon to be martyred by the emporer nero.

webster on AGONY
-greek agOn, a contest with bodily exertion; a word used to denote the athletic games in greece
-latin agO, of physical, to set moving, drive
-in irish, agh=battle, conflict
-'in strictness, PAIN SO EXTREME as to cause writhing or contortions of the body;
-extreme pain of body or mind; ANGUISH;
-violent contest or striving'
on EXTREME
-latin extremus-last
-utmost..greatest, most violent
on ANGUISH
-latin angustia-narrowness, from pressure
-danish, german, angst
-this and a numerous class of words are from the root ANG, ENG denoting same as latin
-'extreme pain, either of body or mind (agony-the whole body; anguish-may be local...both are near synonyms) as pain of mind; signifies any keen distress from sorrow, remorse, despair and kindred passion

Jesus said in luke 13.24- 'STRIVE (same verb as here, AGONIZE) to enter by the narrow door, for many, I tell you, will seek to enter and will not be able.'
note: in II timothy it is in the indicative mode, perfect tense, which speaks of action that started in the past and continues into the present; here the verse is in the imperative mode and so is a command.
Jesus seems to be saying something a little different than, 'I love you and want to have a relationship with you and take you to heaven when you die.' it seems a bit more like,
'you say you believe Me
believe who I say I am, God come in the flesh..
believe I came to die on the cross for your sin..
believe that i rose from the dead..
believe that i have the power to forgive all your sin(s),
give you eternal life
and take you to heaven when you die...
well, in the same book where you learned all that are some things i want you to do as one who has believed in Me..
DO them.

(remember especially where I say, 'not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord' will enter the kingdom of heaven; but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven'...and also where I say, 'whoever does not carry his own cross and come after Me CANNOT BE MY DISCIPLES..and some other places you will come across...)

..so no matter how much pain you have to suffer,
DO THEM.

(am i understanding You right Lord?! i was told that You have a wonderful plan for my life.)

I do. nothing but PAIN here on earth for a moment (it's ALOT BETTER THAN HELL!) and then comes endless bliss with Me...just a shadow of the pain I have suffered from eternity past and still suffer for, and because of you (everyone of your myriads of sin is a deep anguish to me. i want you to share just a tiny bit of My sufferings, and the way I have chosen is for you to keep my commandments no matter what happens to you.

No comments: