Friday, August 10, 2012

8.10.2012 ASCICS!

having been rescued from one of the many things i ran after during the years i lived, unknowingly, as a fake christian-RUNNING- i thank God, first, and ask that He will help me run for exercise and a bit of flexibilty ONLY AS LONG AS HE WANTS. (i try to run 3x a week for a half hour, so if i do all three maybe do 10-12 miles or so, to fulfill the aerobics exercise recommendation.

i have never known a time when i didn't love to run. as a small boy i got my dad to time me running around the block. my high point in organized running as a youth was joining the upper moreland high school track team in my senior year (i quit my job at c.f.kremp and son florist in willow grove to treat myself...and see how i could do..before leaving for college) and in the first one mile race winning in less than one second over the districts qualifying time of 4:45. my low point (i did the same in my senior year in college) was keeping my sweats on in my last mile race on the cold rain- freezing heights of fredonia or some such God forsaken place..finishing last.

from that time i did not run again for a few years. then i was attracted to run a marathon (with absolutely no training and in old, worn out sneakers) in lansdale. the upper back (what to they call it?) muscle became a softball at mile 19 and, in excruciating pain i rode back on a cart to the beginning line. but i was hooked and for years ran, for long periods every day. i now know i was running from myself, from my wife, from my God.

i remember the first time i bought a pair of ascics running shoes. they were like running on a big foam cushion! they were made with what i think was unparalleled engineering with bomb proof materials. why do i give way to this little remembrance? because i have just ran through the bottom, after 20+ years and thousands of miles of use, the first of the three pairs i bought during the running hay day. the sole, wafer thin yet still intact, finally fell off the shoe...and the other two are not far behind.

i thank God that He is such a gracious and kind person to me..allowing me the pleasure of running...even though i was running from Him. i love You Lord.

No comments: