Friday, February 24, 2017

2.24.2017 POEMS ABOUT FRIENDSHIP

303  MY FRIEND - Author unknown

the Christian, like his Lord of old,
must look for foes and trials here;
yet may the weakest saint be bold,
with such a friend as Jesus near.

the lion's roar need not alarm,
O Lord, the feeblest of Thy sheep;
nor can the fiercest monster harm,
while Thou art nigh to watch and keep.

therefore I will Thy foes defy,
and own Thee as my God, my friend;
no fear shall make me e'er deny
the God on whom my hopes depend.

TO KNOW ALL IS TO FORGIVE ALL

if i knew you and you knew me -
if both of us could clearly see,
and with an inner sight divine
the meaning of your heart and mine,
i'm sure that we would differ less'and clasp our hands in friendliness;
our thoughts would pleasantly agree
if I knew you and you knew me.

if i knew you and you knew me,
as each one knows his own self, we
could look each other in the face
and see therein a truer grace.
life has so many hidden woes,
so many thorns for every rose;
the 'why of things our hearts would see,
if I knew you, and you knew me.
Nixon Waterman

PASS IT ON  -  Author unknown

Love demands the loving deed,
Pass it on!
Look upon your brother's need - Pass it on!
Live for self, you live in vain;
Live for Christ, with Him you reign -
Pass it one!

304  THE HOUSE BY THE SIDE OF THE ROAD

there are hermit souls that live withdrawn
in the peace of their self-content;
there are souls, like stars, that dwell apart
in a fellowless firmament;
there are pioneer souls that blaze their paths
where highways never ran -
but let me live by the side of the road
and be a friend to man.

let me lie in a house by the side of the road,
where the race of men go by -
the men who are good and the men who are bad,
as good and as bad as i.
i would not sit in the scorner's seat,
or hurl the cynic's ban -
let me live in a house by the side of the road,
and be a friend to man.

I see from my house by the side of the road,
by the side of the highway of life,
the men who press with the ardor of hope
the men who are faint with the strife,
but i turn not away from their smiles nor their tears -
both parts of an infinite plan -
Let me live in a house by the side of the road
and be a friend to man.

I know there are brook-gladdened meadows ahead
and mountains of wearisome height;
and the road passes on through the long afternoon
and stretches away to the night.
but i still rejoice when the travelers rejoice,
and weep with the strangers that moan,
nor live in my house by the side of the road
like a man who dwells alone.

let me live in my house by the side of the road
where the race of men go by -
they are good, they are bad, they are weak, they are strong,
wise, foolish - so am i.
then why should i sit in the scorner's seat
or hurl the cynic's ban?
let me live in my house by the side of the road
and be a friend to man.
Sam Walter Foss

305  MY NEIGHBOR

my NEIGHBOR,  who is he?
who lives next door to me -
the man i daily meet,
out on the crowded street?

the man to whom i talk,
with whom i daily walk;
who smiles across the fence
nor lacks good common sense?

the man afar from me,
in his great need of me,
may be the nearest me,
and so my neighbor be.

my neighbor, who is he?
mayhap who most needs me,
whose want lays hold of me,
he must my neighbor be.
e.a.repass

306  FRIENDSHIP  - Henry W. Frost

to have a friend who follows all my thought
as it may vagrant roam from earth to heaven,
who there will hold it fast until its leave
be purged away, by purer word in-wrought;
to have him understand when words have failed
to make my better, nobler meaning plain;
who, when I'm silent, will his words restrain
and show by look that silence hath availed;

to know that he, if others adulate,
will dare to warn of pride's presumptuous sin;
that he will speak of love, when others hate,
that he, to his strong self, my soul may win;
such friendship do i crave, till life shall end;
and such i have  - in Jesus Christ, my friend!

LITTLE BLACK DOG - Author unknown

i wonder if Christ had a little black dog
all curly and woolly like mine;
with two silky ears and a nose round and wet
and eyes brown and tender that shine.

i am sure, if He had, that the little black friend
knew right from the first He was God;
that he needed no proofs that Christ was divine,
but just worshiped the ground that He trod.

I'm afraid that He hadn't because I have read
how He prayed in the garden, alone!
for all of His friends and disciples had fled -
even peter, the one called 'a stone'.

and, oh, i am sure that the little black dog
with a heart so tender and warm
would never have left Him to suffer alone,
but creeping right under His arm.

would have licked those dear fingers in agony clasped
and counting all favors by loss;
when they took Him away, would have trotted behind,
and followed Him clear to the Cross!



No comments: