Tuesday, February 14, 2017

2.14.2017 POEMS ABOUT JESUS CHRIST

taken from Sourcebook of Poetry compiled by Al Bryant

114  THE EFFORT - John Newton

approach, my soul, the mercy-seat,
where Jesus answers prayer;
there humbly fall before his feet,
for none can perish there.

Thy promise is my only plea,
with this I venture nigh;
Thou callest burdened souls to thee,
and such, O Lord, am I.

Bowed down beneath a load of sin,
by Satan sorely pressed;
by war without and fears within,
I come to thee for rest.

Be thou my shield and hiding-place!
that, sheltered near thy side,
I may my fierce accuser face,
and tell him thou hast died.

O wondrous love! to bleed and die,
to bear the cross and shame,
that guilty sinners, such as I,
might plead thy gracious name.

'Poor tempest-tossed soul, be still,
My promised race receive';
'Tis Jesus speaks - I must, I will,
I can, I do believe.                  

120  NOTHING THE BLOOD CANNOT COVER- F. E. Robinson

there is nothing the Blood cannot cover,
Tho' sin is as black as can be.
Your heart may be darker than midnight,
But grace is abounding for thee.
Your life may be cursed by its shadow,
and hope has all vanished from view,
but there's nothing the Blood cannot cover,
since Jesus has shed it for you.

There is nothing the Blood cannot cover,
since Jesus has died for us all.
No nation or tongue is excluded,
for all are condemned by the Fall.
On Calv'ry He cried, 'It is finished;
forgive them, O Father , I pray'.
there is nothing the Blood cannot cover,
that was not atoned for that day.

Come now to the fountain of cleansing,
Plunge deep in its lifegiving flow.
His mercy and grace are sufficient,
His pardon He longs to bestow.
Say not, 'I'm too vile and unworthy,
that fact will not sinners debar,
for there's nothing the Blood cannot cover
if you'll come to Him just as you are.

So come while His and His mercy
is freely extended to you.
Be wise to your need of salvation,
and do what you know you should do.
Heed now His sweet call to repentance,
and walk in the Blood-sprinkled way,
for there's nothing the Blood cannot cover,
if you will trust Him today.     F. E. Robinson


122  JUST AS I AM - Charlotte Elliott

Just as I am - without one plea
but that Thy blood was shed for me,
and that Thou bid'st me come to Thee -
O Lamb of God, I come..I come!

Just as I am - and waiting not.
to rid my soul of one dark blot,
to Thee, whose blood can cleanse each spot -
O Lamb of God, I come...I come!

Just as I am - though tossed about,
with many a conflict, many a doubt,
fightings and fears within, without -
O Lamb of God, I come...I come!

Just as I am - poor, wretched, blind;
sight, riches, healing of the mind,
Yea, all I need, in Thee to find -
O Lamb of God, I come, ....I come!

Just as I am -Thou wilt receive,
wilt welcome, pardon, cleanse, relieve,
because Thy promise I believe -
O Lamb of God, I come!

Just as I am - Thy love unknown
has broken every barrier down;
now to be Thine, yea, Thine alone -
O Lamb of God, I come!

Just as I am - of that free love,
the breadth, length, depth and height to prove,
here for a season, then above -
O Lamb of God, I come!

124  LOOKING TO JESUS - Ray Palmer

My faith looks up to Thee,
Thou lamb of Calvary,
Savior divine!
Now hear me while I pray,
Take all my guilt away,
Oh,  let me, from this day,
Be wholly Thine!

may Thy rich grace impart
strength to my fainting heart,
my zeal inspire:
as Thou hast died for me,
Oh! may my love to Thee
pure, warm and changeless be,
A living fire!

While life's dark maze I tread
and griefs around me spread,
Be Thou my Guide;
Bid darkness turn to day,
Wipe sorrow's tears away,
nor let me ever stray
from Thee aside.

When ends life's transient dream,
when death's cold, sullen stream
shall o'er me roll;
Blest Saviour, then, in love,
fear and distrust remove;
Oh, bear me safe above,
A ransomed soul.    Ray Palmer

122  THE SAVIOR CAN SOLVE EVERY PROBLEM - Oswald J. Smith

the saviour can lift every burden,
the heavy as well as the light;
His strength is mad perfect in weakness,
In Him there is power and might.

the Saviour can bear every sorrow,
in  Him there is comfort and rest;
no matter how great the affliction,
He only permits what is best.

the Saviour can strengthen the weary,
His grace is sufficient for all'
He knows every step of the pathway,
and listens to her when we call.

The Saviour can break sin's dominion,
the victory He won long ago;
In Him there is freedom from bondage,
He's able to conquer the foe.

the Saviour can satisfy fully
the heart that the world cannot fill;
His presence will sanctify wholly
the soul that is yielded and still.

the Saviour can solve every problem,
the tangles of life can undo;
there is nothing too hard for Jesus,
there is nothing that He cannot do.

128  THE NAME OF JESUS - John Newton

how sweet the name of Jesus sounds
in a believer's ear!
it soothes his sorrows, heals his wounds,
and drives away his fear.

it makes the wounded spirit whole,
and calms the troubled breast;
'tis manna to the hungry soul.
and to the weary, rest.

dear name! the rock on which I build,
my shield and hiding-place;
my never-failing treasury, filled
with boundless stores of grace.

by Thee my prayers acceptance gain,
although with sin defiled;
satan accuses me in vain,
and I am owned a child.

Jesus, my shepherd, Husband, Friend,
my Prophet, Priest and King,
my Lord, my Life, my Way, my End,
accept the praise I bring.

weak is the effort of my heart,
and cold my warmest thought;
but when I see Thee as Thou art,
I'll praise Thee as I  ought.

till then, I would Thy love proclaim
with every fleeting breath;
and y the music of Thy name
refresh my soul in death!

129  THE SEARCH - James Russell Lowell

I went to seek for Christ,
and Nature seemed so fair...

back to the world I turned,
for Christ, I said, is King;
so the cramped alley and the hut I spurned,
as far beneath His sojourning..

so from my feet the dust
of the proud World I shook;
then came dear Love and shared with me his crust,
and half my sorrow's  burden took.
after the World's soft bed,
it's rich and dainty fare,
like down seemed Love's coarse pillow to my head
His cheap food seemed as manna rare;
fresh-trodden prints of bare and bleeding feet,
turned to the heedless city whence I came,
hard by I saw and springs of worship sweet
gushed from my cleft heart smitten by the same;
Love looked me in the face and spake no words,
but straight I knew those footprints were the Lord's.

I followed where they led
and in a hovel rude,
with naught to fence the weather from his head,
the King I sought for meekly stood;
a naked, hungry child
clung round his gracious knee,
and a poor hunted slave looked up and smiled
to bless the smile that set him free;
new miracles I saw this presence do, -
no more I knew the hovel bare and poor,
the gathered chips into a woodpile grew,
the broken morsel swelled to goodly store;
I knelt and wept:  my Christ no more I seek,
His throne is with the outcast and the weak.  James Russell Lowell











No comments: