Friday, December 22, 2017

12.22.2017 John Wesley Journal (8.9.1779 - 9.3.1782) p.163

8.9.1779  I set out for Wales, with my brother and his family. in the evening i preached at Oxford; the next, at Witney, Wed.  we went on to Gloucester, where i preached with much satisfaction to a crowded audience.  Thurs,  12.  we went on to Monmouth, where the late storm is blown over. I preached at 6  in the evening,  but did not observe one inattentive person then, any more than at 5 in the morning.
8.13 as I was going down a steep pair of stairs, my foot slipped and I fell down several steps. falling on the edge of one of them, it broke the case of an almanack, which was in my pocket, all to pieces. the edge of another stair met my right buckle and snapped the steel chapel of it in two but I was not hurt. so doth our good master give His angels charge over us?  in the evening i preached at Brecknock and , leaving my brother there, on sat.,  14, went forward to Carmarthen.
this evening and in the morning, Sun,  15,  the new preaching-house contained the congregation, but in the afternoon we had, i think,  the largest congregation i ever saw in Wales. I preached on the Gospel for the day, the story of the Pharisee and the publican and I believe many were constrained to cry out, for the present, 'God be merciful to me a sinner!

8.16  in the evening I preached in the market-place again, to a very serious congregation; many of whom were in tears and felt the word of God to be sharper than a two-edged sword.

Tues. 8.17  having some steep mountains to climb, I took a pair of post-horses. about 4 miles from the town, one of them began to kick and flounce, without any visible cause, till he got one of his legs over the pole. Mr. Broadbent and i then came out of the chaise and walked forward. while the drivers

164   were setting the chaise right, the horses ran back almost to the town; so that we did not reach Llyngwair till between 2 and 3 o'clock.  Mr. Bowen was not returned from a journey to Glasgow.  however, i spent a very comfortable evening with Mrs. Bowen and the rest of the family.

8.19 we went over to Fracoon, one of the loveliest places in Great Britain.  the house stands in a deep valley, surrounded with tall woods and then with lofty mountains. but, as Admiral Vaughan was never married, this ancient family will soon come to an end. at 2  I preached in Newcastle church and in the evening at Haverford.
8.20 many of us met at noon and spent a solemn hour in intercession for our King and country. in the evening the House was thoroughly filled with people of all denominations. i believe they all felt that God was there and that he was no respecter of persons.
8.21 i went to Pembroke. understanding that a large number of American prisoners were here, in the evening i took my stand over against the place where they were confined; so that they all could hear distinctly. many of them seemed much affected. O that God may set their souls at liberty!

8.22 Mr. Rees,  a neighbouring Clergyman, assisting me, I began at St. Daniel's between 9 and 10.  the congregation came from many miles round and many of them were greatly refreshed. while we rode to Haverford after dinner, i think it was full as hot as it used to be in Georgia; till about 5 o'clock a violent shower exceedingly cooled the air ,  but it ceased in half an hour and we had then such a congregation as was scarce ever seen here before and though many of the Gentry  were there, yet a solemn awe spread over the whole assembly.
8.23  i came once more to Carmarthen. finding the people here (as indeed in every place) under a deep consternation through the terrible reports which flew on every side, I cried aloud in the market-place,  'say ye unto the righteous, it shall be well with him. ' God made it a word in season to them and many were no longer afraid.

*165  8.24 setting out immediately after preaching, about 8 I preached at Kidwelly, about 9 miles from Carmarthen, to a very civil and unaffected congregation.  at 11,  thought the sun was intensely hot, i stood at the end of the church-yard in Llanelly and took occasion from a passing -bell strongly to enforce those words.  'It is  appointed unto men once to die'.  about 6 I preached in the church near Bridge-End,  to a larger congregation than I eve saw there before and at 6, in the Town-Hall at Cowbridge, much crowded and hot enough. the heat made it a little more difficult to speak, but, by the mercy of god,, I was no more tired when i had done, than when I rose in the morning.

8.26 I preached at 5 and again at 11.  I think this was the happiest time of all. the poor  and the rich seemed to be equally affected. O how are the times changed at Cowbridge, since the people  compassed the house where I was, and poured in stones from every quarter~! but my strength was then according to my day and (blessed be God!) so it is still.

in the evening I preached in the large hall at Mr. Matthews's in Llandaff. and will the rich also hear the words of eternal life? 'With God all things are possible.'

8.27   I preached at Cardiff about noon  and at 6 in the evening. we then went on to Newport and setting out early in the morning, reached Bristol in the afternoon. Sun, 29. I had a very large number of communicants. it was one of the hottest days I have known in England. the thermometer rose to 80 degrees;  -as high as it usually rises in Jamaica.
being desired to visit a dying man on Kingsdown, I had no time but at 2 o'clock. the sun shown without a cloud; so that i had a warm journey. but i was well repaid; for the poor sinner found peace. at 5 I preached to an immense multitude in the Square; and God comforted many drooping souls.

8.30  I set out for the west and in the evening preached at Taunton, on, 'Walk worthy of the Lord'. Tues, 31. after preaching at Collumpton about noon, in the evening i preached at Exeter, in a convenient Room, lately a school; I suppose formerly a chapel. it is both neat and solemn and is

*166 believed to contain 4 or 500 people. Many were present again at 5 in the morning, September 1, and found it a comfortable opportunity. here a gentleman, just come from Plymouth, gave us a very remarkable account: 'for 2 days the combined fleets of France and Spain lay at the mouth of the harbour.  they might have entered it with perfect ease. the wind was fair; there was no fleet to oppose them and the island, which is the grand  security of the place, being incapable of giving them any hindrance; for there was scarce any garrison and the few men that were there had no wadding (def - a plug of cloth, tow (def - the fiber of flax, hemp or jute prepared for spinning...?)    , paper or the like,  used to hold the powder  or shot or both, in place in a gun or cartridge.)   at all and but 2 rounds of powder'.  but had they not cannon? yes, in abundance, but only 2 or them were mounted! why then did they not go in , destroy the dock, and burn or at least plunder, the town? I believe they could  hardly tell themselves.  - the plane reason was, the bridle of God was in their teeth; and he had said, 'Hitherto shall ye come and no farther'.
after preaching at Tiverton, Halberton, Taunton and South-Brent in the way, on Sat, 4, I returned to Bristol.
9.5  being willing to make the best of the fine weather, I preached at 8 on the quay, on, 'The Lord sitteth above the water-flood: and the Lord remaineth a King forever'. at 10 I began the service at Kingswood and in the afternoon preached in thee avenue, to a multitude of people. but we had 5 or 6 times as many at King's Square and great was our rejoicing in the Lord.

9.6  I preached on David's prayer, 'Lord, turn the counsel of Ahithophel into foolishness'.  and how remarkably has he heard this prayer with regard to the French Ahithophels!

9.8 I preached at Paulton, where the people are still all alive and the society is still as one family; consequently it increases both in grace and number. at 6 I preached at Pensford and spent a pleasant evening  with the lovely family at Publow. where is there such another?  I cannot tell: I doubt, not in Great Britain or Ireland.
9.12 I found it work enough to read prayers and preach and administer the sacrament to several hundred people. but it was comfortable work and I was no more tired at the end than at the beginning.
9.13  I preached at Bath and Bradford; on Tues at the end of the new House, in Frome. Wed,  15. I

*167 preached at Malcom and Shaftesbury; Thurs,  16, at Shepton-mallet. here also, as well as at Paulton, (the  2 most unlikely places in the Circuit), a spreading flame is kindled. I preached at Coleford in the evening. among this plain, simple people, the power of God is always present.

9.19  the rain would not suffer me to preach abroad. On Mon, Tues an Wed, I examined the society, and found a large number had been called home this year. a few are still tottering over the grave; but death hath lost its sting.
9.23 I preached in the afternoon near the fish ponds .  the people here had been remarkably dead for many years; but SINCE THAT SAINT OF GOD, Bathsheba Hall, with her husband, CAME AMONG THEM, A FLAME HAS BROKE OUT. the people flock together in troops and ARE ATHIRST FOR ALL THE PROMISES OF GOD.
in the evening one sat behind me in the pulpit at Bristol,  who was one of our first masters at Kingswood. a little after he left the school he likewise left the society. riches then flowed in upon him; with which, having no relations,  Mr. Spencer designed to do much good - after his death. 'But God said unto him, Thou fool!' 2 hours after, he died intestate and left all his money to  - be scrambled for!
Reader! if you have not done it already, make your Will before you sleep!

9.24  James Gerrish, Jun., of Roade, near Frome, was for several years zealous for God:  but he too grew rich and grew lukewarm,  till he was seized with a consumption, at the approach of death he was 'horribly afraid', he was ' in the lowest darkness and in the deep'. but 'he cried unto God in his trouble' and 'was delivered out of his distress'. he was filled with peach and joy  unspeakable and so continued till he went to God. his father desired i would preach his funeral sermon; which I accordingly did this day, at Roade. I conclude the busy day with a comfortable watch-night (def ...could it refer to a night given to prayer?) at Kingswood.

9.27  I preached at Pill. on Wed I opened the  new chapel in Guinea-Street. Thurs, 30. I preached at Mesbury, on communion with God, while deep awe sat on the face of all the people Fri, 10.1 I took a solemn leave of the children at Kingswood. several of them have been convinced of sin again and again, but they soon trifled their convictions away.

*168  10.3  I preached once more in the Square, to a multitude of people and afterward spent a solemn hour with the society, in renewing our covenant with God.

10.4 I left Bristol, preached at the Devizes at 11 and in the evening at Sarum. Tues, 5. i preached at Witchurch, where many, even of the rich, attended and behaved with much seriousness. Wed.  6.  at 11 I preached in Winchester, where there are treated, in all respects, with great humanity.

in the evening I preached at Portsmouth-Common. Thursday,  7. I took a view of the camp  adjoining to the town  and wondered to find it as clean and neat as a gentleman's garden. but there was no Chaplain.  the English soldiers of this age have nothing to do with God!

10.8  we took chaise, as usual, at 2, and about 11 came to Cobham. having a little LEISURE, I THOUGHT I COULD NOT EMPLOY IT BETTER THAN i taking a walk through the gardens. they are said to take up 400 acres and are admirably well laid out. they far exceed the celebrated gardens at Stow and that in several respects;
1. in situation; lying on a much higher hill and having finer prospect from the house.
2. in having a natural river, clear as crystal, running beneath  and through them.
3. in the buildings there in; which are fewer indeed, but far more elegant; yea and far better  kept, being nicely clean, which is sadly wanting at Stow.
and lastly, in the rock-work; to which nothing of the kind at Stow is to be compared.

this night I lodged in the new house at London. How many more nights have I to spend there?

10.11 I began my little tour into Northamptonshire. in the evening I preached at Stony-Stratford; the next day at Honslip and at Morton, a little mile from Buckingham. We, 13. having so lately seen Stourhead and Cobham gardens, I was now desired to take a view of  the much more celebrated gardens at Stow. the fist thing I observed was the beautiful water which runs through the gardens, to the front of the house. the tufts of trees, placed on each side of this, are wonderfully pleasant and so are many of the walks and glades through the woods, which are disposed with a fine variety...

*170  10.11...on this and the 2 following evenings I p[reached at Whittlebury, Towcester and Northampton. On Sat I returned to London
10.18  I set out for Sussex and after visiting the societies there, returned to London on sat, 23. I was in hopes, by bringing her with me, to save the life of Miss A., of Ewhurst, far gone in a consumption. but she was too far gone: so that though that journey helped her for awhile, yet she quickly relapsed and soon after died in peace.
10.24 I preached a charity sermon in Shadwell church. I spoke with all possible plainness. and surely some, out of a immense multitude, will receive the truth and bring forth fruit with patience.

10.25  I set out for Norwich. Tues, 26. I went on to Yarmouth; on Wed to Lowestoft; on Fri to Loddon. St, 30. i came to Norwich again.
Mon, 11.1 - i crossed over to Lunn and settled the little affairs there; on Wed, 3, went on to Colchester; and on Fri, to London. Sat, 6. I began EXAMINING THE SOCIETY, which usually employs me 11 or 12 days.

11.13 I had the pleasure of an hour's conversation with Mr. G., one of the members of the first Congress in America.  he unfolded a strange tale indeed! how has poor K. G. been betrayed on every side! but this is our comfort: there is One higher than they. and He will command all things to work together for good.
the following week I examined the rest of our society;  but

*171  did not find such an increase as I expected. nay, there was a considerable decrease, plainly owing to a senseless jealousy that had crept in between our Preachers; which had grieved the Holy Spirit of god and greatly hindered his work.

11.22 my brother and I set out for Bath, on a very extraordinary occasion. some time since Mr. Smyth, a Clergyman, whose labours God had greatly blessed in the north of Ireland, brought his wife over to Bath, who had been for some time in a declining  state of health. I desired him to preach every Sun evening in our chapel, while he remained there. but as soon as I  was gone, Mr. M'Nab, one of our Preachers, vehemently opposed that; affirming it was the common cause of all the Lay Preachers; that they were appointed by the Conference, not by me and would not suffer the Clergy to ride over their heads; Mr. Smyth in particular, of whom he said all manner of evil. others warmly defended him. hence the society was torn in pieces, and thrown into the utmost confusion.

11.23  I read to the society a paper which i wrote near 20 years ago on a like occasion. herein I observed, that 'the rules of our Preachers were fixed by me, before any Conference existed', particularly the 12th:  'above all, you are to preach when  and where i appoint'. by obstinately opposing which rule, Mr. M'Nb has made all this uproar. in the morning at a meeting of the Preachers, I informed Mr. M'Nab, that, as he did not agree to our fundamental rule, I could not receive him as one of our Preachers, till he was of another mind.

11.24  I read the same to the society at Bristol, as I found the flame had spread thither also. a few at Bath separated from us on this account,  but he rest were thoroughly satisfied. so no Fri, 26, i took coach again and on sat reached London. 
in this journey I read Dr. Warner's History of Ireland, from its first settlement to the English Conquest;  and, after calm deliberation, I make no scruple to pronounce it a mere senseless romance. i do not believe one leaf of it is true, from the beginning to the end. I totally reject the authorities on which he builds: i will not take Falgherty's or Keating's word for farthing. i doubt not, Ireland was, before the Christian era, full as barbarous as Scotland of England.  Indeed ti appears from their own accounts, that the Irish in general were continually

*172  plundering and murdering each other from the earliest ages to that period; and so they were ever since, by the account of Dr. Warner himself, till they were restrained by the English. How then were they converted by St. Patrick? cousin-german to St. George! To what religion? not to Christianity, either in their live or in their tempers.

1128  I preached a charity sermon at St. Peter's, Cornhill. Mon, 29.  i visited the societies in Kent and returned on Sat.
12.5 in applying those words, 'What could i have done for my vineyard which i have not done!' i found such an uncommon pouring out of the convincing Spirit, as we have not known for many years, in the evening the same Spirit enabled me strongly to exhort a numerous congregation, to 'come boldly to the throne of grace' and to 'make all their requests known unto God with thanksgiving'.
12.7  I preached in Redriff chapel, a cold, uncomfortable place, to a handful of people, who appeared to be just as much affected as the benches they sat upon.

12.9  in speaking on those words, 'Set they house in order; for thou shalt die and not live', i took occasion to exhort all who had not done it already, to settle their temporal affairs without delay. let not any man who reads these words put it off a day longer!

12.13  I retired to Lewisham and settled the society-book. 57 members of the society have died this year and none of them 'as a fool dieth'. 170 have left the society. such are the fruits of senseless prejudice.
12.25 we began the service at the new chapel. as usual. at 4 in the morning. afterwards i read prayers and preached and administered the Lord's Supper at West-Street. in the afternoon i preached at the new chapel again; then met the society and after wards, the married men and women. but after this i was no more tired than when I rose in the morning.
12.29 Mr. Hatton, lately come from America, gave us an account of his strange deliverance. he was Collector of the Customs for the eastern ports of Maryland and zealous for King George.  therefore the rebels resolved to dispatch him an a party was sent for that purpose under one Simpson, who owed

*173  him 500 pounds. but first he sent him the following note:

Sir,  'we are resolved to have you dead or alive. so we advise you to give yourself up, that you may give us no more trouble.
I am, sir,          Your obedient servant.

Mr. Hatton not complying with this civil advice, a party of rifle-man were sent to take him. he was just going out, when a child told him they were at hand  and had only time to run  and get into a hollow which was under the house. the maid searched the hose from top to bottom, opened all the closets, turned up the beds and, finding nothing, went away. he was scarce come out, when another party beset the house and came so quick, that he had but just time to get  in again; and the maid, not having flax enough at hand, covered the door with foul linen. when these also had wearied themselves with searching and went away, he put on his boots and great coat, took a gun and a rug,  (it being a sharp frost,) and crept into a little marsh near the house. a third party came quickly, swearing he must be about the house and they would have him if he was alive. hearing this, he stole away with full speed and lay down near the sea-shore, between two  hillocks, covering himself with sea-weeds . they came so near that he heard one of them swear, 'if I find him, I will hang him on the next tree'. another answered, 'I will not stay for that: I will shoot him the moment I see him.

after some time, finding they were gone, he lifted up his head, and heard a shrill whistle from a man 50 or 60 yards off. he soon knew him to be a deserter from the rebel army. he asked Mr. H. what he designed to do; who answered, 'go in my boat to the English ships, which are 4 or 5 and 20 miles off'. but the rebels had found and burnt the boat. so, knowing their life as gone if they stayed till the morning, they got into  a small canoe, (though liable to overset with a puff of wind and set off from shore. having rowed two or three miles, they stopped at a little island and made a fire, being almost perished with cold. but they were quickly alarmed , by a boat rowing toward he shore. Mr. Hatton, standing up, said, 'We have a musket and a fusee. if you load one, as fat as i discharge the other, i will give a good account of them all

*174 he then stepped to the shore and bade the rowers stop,  and tell him who they were; declaring he would fire among them, if any man struck another stroke. upon their answering, he found they were friends, being 6 more deserters from the rebel army.so they gladly came on shore and brought provisions with them to those who before had neither meat nor drink.  after refreshing themselves, they all went into the boat, and cheerfully rowed to the English ships.

12.31 we concluded the year at West-Street, with a solemn watch-night. most of the congregation  stayed till the beginning of the year, and cheerfully sand together,
Glory to God and thanks and praise.
Who kindly lengthens out our days, etc.
Sun. 1.1.1780  we had the largest congregation at the renewal of our covenant with God, which ever met upon the occasion and we were thoroughly convinced, that God was not departed from us. He never will, unless we first depart from Him.
1.18  receiving more and more accounts of the increase of popery, I believed it my duty to write a letter concerning it, which was afterwards inserted in the public papers. many were grievously offended, but I cannot help it: I must follow my own conscience...

..February 4, being the National Fast, I preached first at the new chapel, and then at St. Peter's, Cornhill. what a difference in the congregation! yet out of these stones God can raise up children to Abraham.
2.17  I preached at Dorking and could not but

*175  reflect, in this room I lodged the first time I saw Poor Mr. Ireland: emphatically poor! Poor beyond expression; though he left 80,000 pounds behind him.

2.24  I met the building Committee; according to whose representation, our income at last nearly answers our expenses if so, it will clear itself in a few years.

2.28  Taking the post-coach, i reached Newbury time enough to preach to a crowded audience.  Tuesday, 29, and Wed,  i preached at Bath, where brotherly love is now restored. Thurs, March 2.  I went into Bristol and enjoyed much peace among a quiet, loving people. on Mon, Tues and Wed,  i examined the society and had reason to rejoice over them.

3.13  I set out for the north and in the evening preached at Stroud, where is a considerable increase of the work of God. Tues, 14. I preached in the church at Pitchcomb, but it would by no means contain the congregation. in the evening I preached at Tewkesbury and on Wed, 15,  at Worcester, to a very serious congregation. Thurs, 16.  about noon I began preaching at Bewdley, in an open space at the head of the town.  the wind was high and exceeding sharp; but no one seemed to regard it. in the middle  of the sermon  came a man beating a drum; but a gentleman of the town soon silenced him. Fri,  17.  about noon i preached at Bengeworth church, to the largest congregation I ever saw there. and in Pebworth church about 6, to a larger congregation than i had seen there before. I found uncommon liberty in applying those words, )perhaps a last warning to the great man of the parish, Mr. Martin,) 'Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with they might'.

3.18  I went on to Birmingham and , Sun,  19, preached at 8 in the morning and at half-past one in the afternoon; in the evening, at Wednesbury. Mon, 20.  I reached Congleton and preached to a lively congregation on our Lord's worlds:  'Lazarus, come forth!' Tues, 21 i preached in the new chapel at Macclesfield;  Thurs, 23, at Stockport and Manchester.
on Good-Friday I preached, at  7, in Manchester; about one, in Oldham and in Manchester, at 6. sat, 25. I went on to Bolton, where the work of God is continually increasing. on Easter-Day i set out for Warrington. Mr.

*176  Harmer read prayers both morning and afternoon. we had a large congregation in the morning; as may as the church could well contain in the afternoon and more than it could contain in the evening. at last there is reason to hope, that God will have a steady people even in this wilderness.

the next evening, when a few of the society were met together,  the power of god came mightily upon them. some fell to the ground; some cried aloud for mercy; some rejoiced with joy unspeakable. 2 or 3 found a clear sense of the love of God; one gay young woman, in particular, who was lately much prejudiced against The Way, but is now filled with joy unspeakable.

Mon, Tues, Wed,  I spent at Liverpool, being undermined whether to proceed or not.  at length I yielded to the advice of my friends and deferred my journey to Ireland. so I preached at Northwich about noon and in the evening at Alpraham, in the midst of all the old Methodist. we had a very different congregation at Nantwich in the evening but as many as could get into the House, or near the door, behaved very seriously.
4.1  I returned to Chester and found many alive to God, but scarce one that retained his pure love.  Sun,k 2. I reached Warrington about 10. the chapel was well filled with serious hearers and I believe God confirmed the word of His grace. hastening back to Chester, I found a numerous congregation waiting and immediately began, 'This is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith'.

4.3  I returned to Manchester and , Tues,  4, strongly applied, 'What could I have done more to my vineyard, that i have not done?' at present there are many here that 'bring forth good grapes'.  but many swiftly increase in goods and I fear very few sufficiently watch and pray that they may not set their hearts upon them.
4.5 I preached at Bolton; Thurs, 6, about noon at Bury and at Rochdale in the evening. Fri, 7.  i went to Delph, a little village upon the mountains, where a remarkable work of God is just broke out. i was just set down, when the Minister sent me word, I was welcome to preach in his church. on hearing this, many people walked thither immediately, near a mile from the town, but in 10 minutes he sent me word, his mind was changed.  we knew not then what to do, till the

*178  Trustees of the Independent meeting offered us the use of their House. it was quickly filed and truly God bore witness to His word in the evening I preached at Huddersfield. Sat,8 about noon I opened the new House at Mirfield and in the evening preached at Daw-Green. Sun,9 . I went on to Birstal and took my stand at the front of the House through the north-east wind whistled round about. I preached again between 4 and 5 , pointing them to the Great Shepherd and Bishop of their souls.

4.10 I preached in the prison at Whitelee; in the evening at Morley and on Tues morning at
Cross-hall.  the family here are much grown in grace since I saw them last. most of them now enjoy the great salvation and walk worthy of their vocation and all around them 'see their good works and glorify their Father which is in heaven'.
In the evening i preached to a very gentell congregation at Wakefield. Wed, 12. after preaching at Rothwell, I inquired what was become of that lovely class of little girls, most of them believers, whom I met here a fee years since. I found those of them that had pious parents remain to this day: But all of them whose parents did not fear God are gone back into the world.

4.17  I left Leeds in one of the roughest mornings I have ever seen. we had rain, hail, snow and wind , in abundance. about 9 i preached at Bramley; between one and two at Pudsey. afterwards i walked to Fulneck, the German settlement. Mr. Moore showed us the house, chapel, hall, lodging-rooms, the apartments of the widows, the single men, and single women. he showed us likewise the workshops of various kinds, with the shops for grocery, drapery, mercery (def -textile fabrics, dry goods merchants), hardware, etc., with which, as well as with bread from their bakehouse, they furnish the adjacent country. I see not what but the mighty power of God can hinder them from

*178  acquiring millions; as they., 1. buy all materials with ready money at the best hand:  2. have above 100 young men, above 50 young women, many widows and above 100 married persons; all of whom are employed from morning to night, without any intermission, in various kinds of manufactures, not for journeymen's wages, but for no wages at all, save a little very plain food and raiment; as they have, 3. a quick sale for all their goods and sell them all for ready money. but can they lay up treasure on earth and at the same time lay up treasure in heaven?

in the evening I preached at Bradford, where I was well pleased to find many, both men and women, who had never suffered any decay since they were perfected in love. Wed, 19. I went to Otley ,but Mr. Ritchie was dead before I came. but he had first witnessed a good confession. one telling him, 'You will be better soon'. he replied, 'I cannot be better, for i have God in my heart. I am happy, happy, happy in His love'.
Mr. Wilson, the Vicar, after a little hesitation, consented that i should preach his funeral sermon:  this I did today. the text he had chosen was, 'To you that believe, he is precious'.  perhaps such a congregation had hardly been in Otley church before. surely the right hand of the Lord bringeth mighty things to pass!
Sun, 23. Mr. Richardson being unwilling that i should preach any more in Haworth church, Providence opened another: I preached in Bingley church, both morning and afternoon. this is considerably larger than the other. it rained hard in the morning: this hindered many; so that those who did come, got in pretty well in the forenoon; but in the afternoon very many were obliged to go away.
after preaching at several other places on Mon and Tues, Wed,  26.,  I preached in Heptonstall church, well filled with serious hearers.in the evening i preached near Todmorden, in the heart of the mountains. one would wonder where all the people came from. Thurs, 27. i preached in Todmorden church, with great enlargement of heart. in the afternoon we went on to Blackburn. it seemed, the whole town was moved. but the question was, where to put the congregation. we could not stand abroad, because of the sun: so as many as could , squeezed into the

*179  preaching-house. all the chief man of the town were there. it seems as if the last will be first.

4.30 we had a lovely congregation at Colne, but a much larger at one and at five.  many of them came 10 or 12 miles, but I believe not in vain: God gave them a good reward for their labour.

5.1 we reached Grassington about 10.  the multitude of people constrained me to preach abroad. it was fair all the time I was preaching, but afterwards rained much. at Pateley-Bridge, the vicar offered me the use of his church.  though it was more than twice as large as our preaching-house,it was not near large enough to contain the congregation. how vast is the increase of the work of God! particularly in the most rugged and uncultivated places!  how does he 'send the springs' of grace also 'into the valleys, that run among the hills'.

5.2 we came to Ripon and observed a remarkable turn of Providence:  the great hinderance of the work of God!  in this place has suddenly disappeared and the poor people being delivered from their fear, gladly flock together to hear His word. the new preaching house  was quickly more than filled. surely some of them will not be forgetful hearers!

in the afternoon we traveled through a delightful country;  the more so when contrasted with the horrid mountains. the immense ruins of Garvaix Abbey show what a stately pile it was once. though we were at a lone house, a numerous congregation assembled in the evening; on whom I enforced, 'This is life eternal, to know thee, the only true God and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent'.

5.3  Judging it impracticable to pass the mountains in a carriage, I sent my chaise round and took horse. at 12 I preached at Swaledale, to a loving people, increasing both in grace and number. thence we crossed over another range of dreary mountains and in the evening reached Barnard-Castle. not being yet inured to riding, I now felt something like weariness. but I forgot it in the lively congregation, and in the morning it was gone.
5.4 about 8 I preached to a serious congregation at Cuthbedson and about one at Newbiggin, in Teesdale. we doubted how we should get over the next mountain, the famous Pikelow, after so long and heavy rains, but I scarce

*180  ever remember us getting over it so well. we found the people in Weardale, as usual, some of the liveliest in the kingdom;; knowing nothing and desiring to know nothing, save Jesus Christ and Him crucified. 
5.5 notice having been given, without my knowledge, of my preaching at Ninthead, all the lead-miners that could, got together and I declared to them, 'all things are ready'.  after riding over another enormous mountain, I preached at Gamblesby ( as i did about 30 years ago)  to a large congregation of rich and poor.  the chief man of the town was formerly a Local Preacher, but now keeps his carriage. has he increased in holiness as well as in wealth? if not, he as made a poor exchange.

in the evening, a large upper room, designed for an assembly, was procured for me at Penrith; but several of the poor people were struck with a panic, for fear the room should fall. finding there was no remedy, I went down into the court below and preached in great peace to a multitude of well-behaved people. the rain was suspended  while i preached but afterwards returned and continued most of the night.
5.6  I went on to Whitehaven and, in the evening, exhorted all who knew in whom they had believed, to 'walk worthy of the Lord i all well-pleasing, being fruitful in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God.'
5.7  I preached at  8 , at 2 and at 5,  but could not preach abroad because of the rain. we were in hopes of sailing for the isle of Man the next morning, as a little vessel was waiting for us, but the wind then turned full against us. by this means i had an opportunity given me of meeting the select society. I was pleased to find, that none of them have lost the pure love of god, since they received it first. I was particularly pleased with a poor negro. she seemed to be fuller of love than any of the rest. and not only her voice

No comments: