Tuesday, June 26, 2018

6.26.2018 THEY FOUND THE SECRET (TFTS) - V. Raymond Edmond (Intro and J. Hudson Taylor, 'The Exchanged Life

vior. said the Lord Jesus:  'If any man thirst, let him come unto Me and drink'. we are told to come to Him, not to some friend, not to some experience, not to some feeling or frame of mine. we are not even to come just to the word of God:  rather, we are to go through that  to the person of the Lord Jesus Himself.
the way to heart satisfaction and rest of spirit for Hudson Taylor was learned from a fellow missionary, John McCarthy, in a letter to Mr. Taylor he wrote:

*19  'to let my loving Savior work in me His will,
my sanctification is what I would love for by His grace.
abiding, not striving nor struggling;
looking off unto Him;
trusting Him to subdue all inward corruption;
resting in the love of an almighty Savior, in the conscious joy of a complete salvation, a salvation 'from all sin' (this is His Word);
willing that his will should truly be supreme- this is not new and yet 'tis new to  me.  I feel as though the first dawning of a glorious day had risen upon me. I hail it with trembling of a glorious day had risen upon me. I hail it with trembling, yet with trust. I seem to have got to the edge only, but of a sea which is boundless; to have sipped only, but of that which fully satisfies. Christ literally all seems to me now the power, the only power for service; the only ground for unchanging joy. may he lead us into the realization of His unfathomable fullness'.
the Lord used this letter literally to lead Mr. Taylor 'into the realization of his unfathomable fullness'. it was read in the little mission station at Chin-kinang on Sat, Sept 4, 1869. the missionary was always reticent about telling details of his transforming experience, but he did say, 'As I read, I saw it all. I looked to Jesus and when i saw, oh how the joy flowed!'

his fellow missionaries said of him,  'Mr. Taylor went out, a new man in a new world, to tell what the Lord had done for his soul.
let the man of God speak for himself regarding The Life That Is Christ. writing to his sister in England he said:
'as to work, mine was never so plentiful, so responsible or so difficult; but the wight and strain are all gone. the last moth or more has been perhaps, the happiest  of my life and I log to tell you a little of what the Lord has done for my soul. I do not know how far i may be able to make myself intelligible about it, for there is nothing new or strange or wonderful-

*20  and yet, all is new! in a word,  'whereas once I was blind, now I see...'
when my agony of soul was at its height, a sentence in a letter from dear McCarthy was used to remove the scales from my eyes and the spirit of God revealed the truth of our oneness with Jesus as I had never known it before. McCarthy, who had been much exercised by the same sense of failure, but saw the light before i did, wrote (I quote from memory): 'but how to get faith strengthened? not by striving after faith, but by resting in the Faithful One'.
as I read I saw it all! 'If we believe not,k He abideth faithful'.  I looked to Jesus and saw (and when I saw, oh, how joy flowed!) that he had said, 'I will never leave you'. Ah, there is rest! i thought . 'I have striven in vain to rest in Him. I'll strive no more. for has He not promised to abide with me - never to leave me, never to fail me? and, dearie, He never will!
but this was not all He showed me, nor one half. as I thought of the Vine and the branches, what light the blessed Spirit poured into my soul ! how great seemed my mistake in having wished to get the sap, the fullness out of Him. I saw not only that Jesus would never leave me,  but that I was a member of His body, of His flesh and of His bones. the vine now I see, is not the root merely, but all - root, stem, branches, twigs, leaves , flowers, fruit: and Jesus ins not only that ;  He is soil and sunshine, air and showers and 10,000 times more than we have ever dreamed, wished for or needed. oh, the joy of weeing this truth!  i do pray that the eyes of your understanding may be enlightened, that you may know and enjoy the riches freely given us in Christ...
the sweetest part, if one may speak of one part being sweeter than another, is the rest which full identification with Christ brings, I am no longer anxious about anything, as i realize this; for He, I know, is able to carry out His will, and His

*21  will is mine. it makes not matter where He places me, or how. that is rather for Him  to consider than for me; for in the easiest positions He must give me His grace and in the most difficult His grace is sufficient'.
God's grace is indeed sufficient and the heart that has come to know personally and intimately the risen Lord Jesus my the outflow  of His spirit experiences the reality of 'rivers of living water'.  with Isaiah he knows that 'thou wilt keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on thee, because he trusteth in thee'.  
many years after Hudson Taylor's meeting with the Lord Jesus in 'the little crowded house in Chin-kiang', an Anglican clergyman, the rev. H. B. Macartney of Melbourne, Australia, added this testimony to that of many others regarding the missionary's possession of the Life That Is Christ.

he was an object lesson in quietness. he drew from the Bank of heaven every farthing of his daily income - 'my peace i give unto you'. whatever did not agitate the savior, or ruffle His spirit was not to agitate him, the serenity of the Lord Jesus concerning any matter and at its most critical moment, this was his ideal and practical possession. he knew nothing of rush or hurry, of quivering nerves or vexation of spirit. he knew there was a peace passing all understanding and that he could not do without it.
now I was altogether different. Mine is a peculiarly nervous disposition and with a busy life I found myself in a tremor all day long, I did not enjoy the Lord as I knew i ought. nervous agitation possessed me as long as there was anything to be done. the greatest loss of my life was the loss of the light of the Lord's presence and fellowship during writing hours. the daily ail robbed me of His delightful society.
I am in the study, you are in the big spare room, I said the Mr. Taylor at length. 'You are occupied with millions, I with tens.

*22  your letters are pressingly important, mine of comparatively little moment. yet i am worried and distressed, while you are always calm. do tell me what makes the difference.

my dear Macartney,  he replied, the peace you speak of is in my case more than a delightful privilege, it is a necessity.
He said most emphatically,  'I could not possibly go through the work I have to do without the peace of God 'which passeth all understanding' keeping my heart and mind'.

Keswick teaching' as it is called was not new to me at the time. I had received those glorious truths and was preaching them to others. but here was the real thing - and embodiment of 'keswick teaching' such  as i had never hoped to see. this impressed me profoundly: - here is a man almost 60 years of age, bearing tremendous burdens, yet absolutely calm and unruffled, oh, the pile of letters! any one of which might contain news of death or shortness of funds or riots or serious trouble. yet all were opened, read and answered with the same tranquillity - Christ his reason for peace, His power for calm. dwelling in Christ he partook of His very being and resources , in the midst of and concerning the very matters in question. and he did this by an act of faith as simple as it was continuous.

yet he was delightfully free and natural. I can find no words to describe it save the Scriptural expression 'in God'. He was 'in god' all the time and God in Him. it was that true 'abiding of John 15.

with good reason could the clergyman add the exhortation to all:  '
Are you in a hurry, flurried, distressed? Look u! See the Man in the Glory! Let the face of Jesus shine upon you - the face of the Lord Jesus
Christ. is He worried, troubled, distressed? there is no wrinkle on His brow, no least shade of anxiety. yet the affairs are His as much as yours.
it is the abiding life that is fruitful, just as it is the soul drinking deeply of the water of life that realizes 'shall never

*23  thirst'.  the Life That Is Christ is abiding and abounding, it is satisfying and overflowing. HT could not find words more adequate to express the truth of the Scriptures he had proved by experience than those in the little booklet by Harriet Beecher Stow, How to live on Christ, a copy of which he sent to every member of the mission. in part Mrs Stowe stated:

'How does the branch bear fruit? not by incessant effort for sunshine and air; not by vain struggles for those vivifying influences which give beauty to the blossom and verdure to the leaf: it simply abides in the vine, in silent and undisturbed union and blossoms and fruit appear as of spontaneous growth.

how, then, shall a Christian bear fruit? by effort and struggles to obtain that which is freely given; by meditations on watchfulness, on prayer, on action, on temptation and on dangers? no: there must be a full concentration of the thoughts and affections on Christ; a complete surrender of the whole being to Him; a constant looking to Him for grace. Christians in whom these dispositions are once firmly fixed go on calmly as the infant borne in the arms of its mother. Christ reminds them of every duty in its time and place, reproves them for every error, counsels them in every difficulty, excites them to every needful activity. in spiritual as in temporal matters them take no thought for the morrow; for they know that Christ will be as accessible tomorrow as today and that time imposes no barrier on His love. their hope and trust rest solely on what He is willing  and able to do for them; on nothing that they suppose themselves able and willing to do for Him. their talisman for every temptation and sorrow is their oft-repeated child-like surrender of their whole being to Him'.

such is the 'exchanged life', the abiding, fruitful life, The Life That Is Christ, which should be the possession of every believer. Galatians 2.20 should be and can be a glorious reality.
I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in  me and the life which I now live in the flesh i live by the faith of the Son of god, who loved me and gave Himself for me.

No comments: