Saturday, September 16, 2017

9.16.2017 A HUNGER FOR HEALING - J. Keith Miller (1991) THE TWELVE STEPS as a classic model for christian spiritual growth

Preface

9  why would a seriously committed christian write a book about the 12 Steps of Alcoholics anonymous  as a means of spiritual growth for christians?

to answer this I must tell you a little of my won personal story. when i was a very small boy i didn't think my father loved me - at least he could not love me in a way I was able to understand. he was a good man but he loved my only brother, Earle, 5 years older than I. E was named after my father and went on hunting and fishing trips with him. but I was too little to go along. I would stand at the door and cry when they left. my father evidently didn't like  me around, although I wanted very much for him to love me and play with me. my mother said my time would come, so I waited.  but when I was older and my brother began spending time with his friends, my father was going through a difficult period financially and lost interest in hunting and fishing. he traveled for weeks at a stretch. when he got home he was often tired and discouraged and didn't have time for me. I felt very lonely and I thought there must be something wrong with me.
unable to get love from this distant man, I turned to achievement at a very early age. when I would do  well in sports, he would mumble, 'Good boy'. I don't know how many young men in this country have substituted achievement for love in this way, but i am one. I went out to win the world through hard work - compulsive work as it turned out. I now know that I worked so hard for recognition because underneath I was terrified of being rejected by others. as i felt I had been by my father.

10  things went very well for me in the world of school. but beginning the summer I graduated from High School a series of tragedies hit our family.  my brother was killed in a plane crash in 1945;  by father developed serious heart disease in 1949 and died in 1950;  and my mother was diagnosed with cancer in 1950.
in 1956, while nursing my mother through the final stage of her illness, I was at a very low point.

by this time I had been through college and was in the oil exploration business in Tyler, Texas.  I was 28, married and had 2 beautiful little girls. and my mother was dying of cancer. i had been feeling great anxiety and fear about my own future for years;  finally, on a roadside in the tall pine woods country in eat Texas, between Tyler and Longview, I turned to God in a desperate moment and offered Him my life. as soon as I did, I was relived of my sense of shame, fear and failure and was given new meaning in my life:  to tell people that there is hope if  one will surrender to God as revealed in Jesus Christ. for the next few years I knew some peace and a strong sense of direction. before long I started to speak, to witness to what I was discovering in trying to live for God.

I kept looking for books to give people that described my new experience of faith. most of the contemporary books I found at that time said, in effect, 'If you commit your life to Jesus Christ, your problems will disappear.  but my experience was that i got a whole new set of problems. things that hadn't been issues at all before had to be considered now.

in 1962 I was asked to be the first director of a conference center for laypeople,  Laity Lodge in the Texas hill country. as the center grew, the need increased for a book to hand people, a book about the actual problems of living a life committed to Christ. finally I produced a manuscript mad up of talks I was giving at conferences in the lodge; The Taste of New Wine.

this book was one of the first 2 published by word Books in Waco, Texas. it sold hundreds of thousands of copies overnight (over 2,000,000 ultimately).  suddenly I was thrown into the spotlight. I became a 'christian star'. in the next few years I was asked to speak all over the world. I was available to people night and day. my old work addiction kicked back in, only now it was a Christian work  addiction. I thought I was doing all that work for God, but to do it I neglected y family - just as my father had neglected me. because i was doing it for Jesus, it was hard to criticize.

11  after several more successful books and much traveling and speaking, I began secretly to suspect that I was a special and gifted person. and because i was consciously so sincere and committed to Christ,  i couldn't understand why all those around me weren't thrilled with all that was happening. but of course some of them were not happy with my almost total absorption with my work. at some level i knew I wasn't handling my relationships very well, but I couldn't See my compulsive behavior. i was filled with resentment, frustration and rebellion. finally in 1976, my wife and I were divorced.

overnight a large part of the church said, 'Bye, Bye,  and disappeared from my life.  the thing I  had feared most since I was a little boy had finally happened. I'd been rejected. Bruce and Hazel Larson and some friends in a christian small group held me while i wept and tried to sort out my life. i was filled with shame and a sense of failure and didn't want to see anyone in the Church. 

but then i got angry. I heard that someone had written a book with a title like True Church is the Only Army That Shoots Its Wounded! and i shouted, 'Yes! and shook my fist at the Church.

but one morning during that time, when I was praying, a quiet voice said inside me. 'Keith, quit blaming the Church for your sins, You're the one who behaved sinfully and got the divorce. you deal with your own sin and I'll take care of My Church!
and so I did. I eventually confessed and made what amends I could. I read the Bible again to see what sin and salvation were all about. I realized that I was like many people who have been converted or healed by Christ, like the man Jesus spoke of who was healed of a demon and had a spiritual 'clean house'.  because the man didn't put a healing program in place of the demon, it came back and brought 7 more demons and the man was in worse condition than he had been before Jesus touched him.  (see Luke 11.24-6)
 my spiritual search, as well as my deteriorating personal relationships and some frightening stress-related heart symptoms, led me to a treatment center for my compulsive and addictive behavior,  and there I was advised to get into a 12-Step program. as the acid of my pain began to eat through the wall of my denial, I started to perceive my dishonesty with myself,  my incredible self-centeredness and need for attention and my grandiosity.
as I was reading the Bible and working the Twelve Steps, I began to see that here in this 'secular' program, a bunch of former drunks had
12  taken some biblical principles, many of which the Church has largely neglected or eliminated and had formed a spiritual 'way'.  this path has not only brought me into a deeper and more realistic relationship with Christ than I had ever known but has also turned out to be a way of calming and healing the driven compulsive life of intensity and fear that (after the first exciting 'honeymoon' years) my christian faith had not been able to touch.

I have been in a 12 Step program for over 5 years now and some of us have started a 12 Step group for christians in our church to work on our blocks to loving God, other people and ourselves. my experience in 12-Step groups has convinced me that God has provided a way of spiritual healing and growth that may well be the most important spiritual  model of any age for contemporary Christians.  I wrote this book because I have found more self-worth in God, more serenity than I have ever known and a way to deal specifically with the personal problems that have kept me anxious and afraid all my life. I sense that there are many other christians who know their lives and relationships are in trouble but don't know how to change.

A Spiritual Revolution

Richard Grant,  a friend who is an astute psychologist and theologian, wrote recently,

we are in the midst of an 'anonymous' spiritual revolution. the American experiment in democracy has finally produced a spirituality that matches its experience:  the Twelve Steps. recovery communities are spreading like a grass-fire across the United States, dealing with a seemingly endless variety of compulsive disorders:  alcoholism, drug addiction, overeating,  codependence, compulsive spending, etc...
the Twelve Steps connect with the people of the United States because the Steps are democratic, have a profound respect for the experience and rights of the individual and do not permit theological ideas to impede spiritual growth. in fact, it seems that the 12 steps relegate definitions and ideas to a secondary position. teachers in the 12-step communities have authority based on personal experience of their own recovery, not based on formal education or credentials...
in the 12 steps, one's Idea of God is entirely subordinate to the experience of a Higher power as real in one's life.

What About Jesus and the Higher Power?

13  the freedom to choose one's view of God is sometimes frightening to institution-oriented christians, but it is only a raw expression of the freedom all christian denominations faced at their inception. the striking thing about the 12 Step  pilgrim's movement through the program is that after a few months or years the personality of God that comes into focus is so often that revealed through the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.  my own faith is unashamedly christian, but this program is also for  those who start with no faith, only pain and frustration.

most religious bodies want prospective members to conform to certain specific beliefs before they are allowed in the group. there is no question that what you believe about God is very important over the long haul. for instance, if God is loving, supportive and moral, as he is in Christianity and the 12 Steps, and most Christian approaches lies in how one gets to know what kind of God one is dealing with.
in Christianity the tests of belief are mostly written and cognitive (Credo, faith statements, and the Bible).  in the 12 Steps one finds out what God is like by entering a community of people who have made a radical commitment of their lives to God. as newcomers see God working in the lives of people in that community, they learn about his nature and how he operates. as they work the Steps and put their own lives in the hands of this God (whatever they call God at first) they discover firsthand the loving, redeeming, supporting, moral, and confronting nature of God. later many of them see that this is in fact the same God that Christians believe in and numbers of them join the Church.
there they discover what has been written in the Bible about this God they have come to love and depend on. they may be thrilled to find out about eternal life, which seems like a bonus to them because they came to believe and committed their lives to God on the basis of what God does in the here-and-now world of sin and addiction. it is interesting to note that this getting to know the living God through the community of believers instead of through an acceptance of he authoritative New Testament was the experience of he early church for over 300 years, because the New Testament wasn't completely put together and accepted by the Church until AD 393.

14  the experience of the 12 Steps, like that of the christian church, is based on the assumption that God is in fact real, 'alive', and capable of revealing himself as he truly is through a personal relationship with people in a community of faith. as a christian, I am very grateful that I have both the christian church with its Bible  and liturgy and the 12 Steps as aids to authentic spiritual growth.

the people who God uses to teach a new spiritual way often are not recognized religious leaders by those who appear to be ordinary men and women , carpenters like Jesus, tent-makers like Paul, teachers of rhetoric like Augustine, soldiers like Ignatius Loyola, or students of literature like Thomas Merton.  their methods have the smell of earth and the sights and sounds of real life about them.

the founders of Alcoholics Anonymous who developed the 12 Steps or A.A. were such a group. they were experiencing the pain of an apparently incurable spiritual and emotional illness, alcohol addiction, that was destroying their minds, their bodies and their ability to make a contribution to society. their 'disease' had driven God out of their lives;  they and their compulsions had replaced him at the center of their motivations and relationships. medical science and even the Church had virtually given up trying to treat these lost people;  their addiction had withstood all know medical and spiritual approaches.
then, in the experience of their own powerlessness, admitting the bankruptcy of their self-centeredness and the insanity of their self-destructive addictive behavior,  these spiritually crippled men and women turned to God and each other as their only hope. as they gave up on their own power and their own agendas and turned their lives and their wills over to God, they rediscovered some amazing secrets that many parts of the Church had lost along the way. they developed a hunger for healing and a hunger for God. they discovered a more simple way to live, trying to find and do God's will amid the noise and shattering vibrations of contemporary life. in becoming 'weller than well' many of these men and women have found healing in their primary relationships, the peace of surrender, the humility and self-acceptance that follow confession and makeing amends and the joy and sense of purpose in doing God's will and sharing the hope and healing they are finding.
the 12 Steps have been used to deal with addictions to alcohol, food, recreational and prescription drugs, sex, gambling and spending, and addictions to different kinds of unhealthy relationships that people form to try to alleviate or erase their pain. separate movements have been established to deal with each of these addictions. the simple yet
15  profoundly powerful spiritual model that is hidden within the 12 Steps has caused these groups, collectively to become perhaps the fastest-growing spiritual movement in America today.

this grow this remarkable, because 12 Step groups are all 'anonymous'; that is, no one is to tell who belongs, unless telling will help a sufferer. the groups have no professional or designated leaders. they have no financial 'pledges'  and won't accept large sums of money,  own no real estate, and have no evangelism campaigns; most significantly, no one wants to join! (most of these characteristics are amazingly similar to those of the early christian church. ) moreover, their remarkable growth has taken place as many christian churches are declining in membership.

I believe this growth is occurring because the 12 Steps bring biblical principles of faith to bear on the pain of contemporary people in a way that leads sufferers into a close living relationship with god and frees them to live a meaningful life seeking God's will. for me, having studied the Bible for years,  there is no question that the 'Higher Power of the 12 Steps is the same God revealed in the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

in this book I have tried to take the reader inside the spiritual process of each of the 12 Steps to taste the healing , growing experience that is this way of surrendering ourselves to a Higher power - to us christians, the God of Jesus Christ. here I have found a way to follow Christ that is leading me beyond myself into trying to do the will of God in His world.

Chapter 1 - The 12 Steps as a means of 'Getting Well Spiritually' and Doing God's Will

2 how can the 12 Steps be of any use to committed christians already seeking to be God's people and do God's will? especially how can the program be of use to christians who are not alcoholics, overeaters, drug addicts, compulsive gamblers, or sex addicts and do not have family members involved in such addictions? and even if we agreed that these steps would bring one closer to God and to doing His will, how would a christian take the steps without a specific addiction to focus them on?
it is true that a christian with no clearly definable addiction finds it more difficult to recognize the need for and then to partake of the benefits of this 12 Step way of life. but it is also true that without a strong motivation, usually involving pain, it is difficult for a christian to pay the price to master any of the classic christian spiritual ways.  an alcoholic who has lost family, job and health and is facing loss of freedom in court has some very concrete evidence that he or she needs help. but christians who have not faced these particular difficulties do not see the They are powerless and need help too. yet many of these same christians have become aware of feeling spiritual and emotional pain, anxiety, and confusion within themselves. I believe that these symptoms are indications of the same spiritual disease that underlies alcoholism and other addictions.

the similarities to the underlying spiritual disease addressed by the 12 Steps strongly suggested to me a connection between the way of life prescribed by those steps and a committed christian's spiritual growth. this book describes how certain christians, even without a specific substance addiction, can apply the 12 Steps as a powerful model and medicine' in their lives for alleviating emotional pain and stress and for practical spiritual development in Christ.

Which 'Certain' Christians Can Receive This Help?

the method of spiritual growth described here is for christians whose spiritual practices are not working - even though they believe in God and want to trust Him with their whole lives. if they are honest, these
3  christians know they are not happy and certainly not serene.








No comments: